We ran across a great piece of research this morning via Business Insider and thought it was worth passing along. The below Infographic, designed by by .docstoc for Business Insider, offers a graphical representation of the State of US Small Business. The Small Business Administration defines a small business as an enterprise with less than 500 employees. In the United States there are a lot of them. According to the Infographic, in 2011 there were almost 28 million U.S. Small Businesses, but over 22 million are sole proprietor, non-employer firms. The small business sector is a major driver of our economy, but did you know that over 50% of the working population (120 Million) works in a small business?
Want to Learn More About How Small Businesses Are Doing?
Experian recently published the Experian/Moody's Analytics Small Business Credit Index for Q2, 2013. This free quarterly report offers insights on the health of U.S. small businesses from a credit standpoint. Experian also publishes the Metro Business Pulse, a quarterly ranking of U.S. cities based on business credit health. The Metro Business Pulse ranks top performing and bottom performing cities on overall credit score, days beyond terms, delinquencies and bankruptcy and provides stats for key industries.
Attend our Free Webinar
Experian will be hosting a free Webinar called the Quarterly Business Credit Review on September 24th 11:00 a.m. We will be discussing small business credit health, and the key drivers which have driven the most recent Small Business Credit Index to the highest level on record.
Tweet These Small Business Stats
- There are almost 28 million U.S. small businesses - over 22 million are sole proprietors - Tweet This Stat
- There were 22.5 mil non-employer firms in 2011, up almost 2% from 2010 - Tweet This Stat
- Over 50% of the working population (120 million) works in a small business. - Tweet This Stat
- Approx 75% of all U.S. Businesses are non-employer businesses - Tweet This Stat
- 19.4 mil non-employer businesses are sole proprietorships Vs. 1.4 mil corporations - Tweet This Stat
- Small businesses have generated over 65% of net new jobs since 1995. - Tweet This Stat
- Approx 543,000 new businesses get started each month. - Tweet This Stat
- 7 out of 10 new employer firms survive at least 2 yrs - Tweet This Stat
- Only one quarter of new small businesses stay in business 15 yrs or more. - Tweet This Stat
- 52% of all small businesses are home-based. - Tweet This Stat
- In 2011 Auto repair shop, beauty salon, dry cleaners among fastest growing smallbiz sector - Tweet This Stat
- Total revenue in 2011 from non-employer #smallbiz $989.6 billion - Tweet This Stat
- Non-Employers had average revenue of $44,000 - Tweet This Stat
- Total U.S. Non-Employer businesses has grown 28% since 2002 - Tweet This Stat